We’ve just returned from a fantastic driving holiday from Brisbane to Sydney and back. We travelled many, many kilometres with two little boys who sometimes weren’t satisfied with the array of entertainment I packed for them: DVDs, DS Consoles, colouring-in, and activity books. Then it was time to become entertainment director and come up with creative games and stories to while away the hours and miles and delay the question ‘are we there yet?’. They particularly liked stories about my childhood – which amazed me as I didn’t think it was all that interesting. We also played a few old faithful games like counting animals and I Spy. And when the whinging become a little too much I popped a barley sugar in their mouths.
When I arrived in Sydney I found the most wonderful book of old-fashioned and brand new travel games, ironically called ‘Are We There Yet’.
I stood for quite some time flicking through it as the kids chose a book they wanted to buy for the return journey. Some of my favourite travel games suggested were: Rhyming Celebrities, Weird Vacations, Signpost Lottery and the best – Quietest in the Car. As I placed the book back on the shelf and walked to the register with the boys chosen books I clearly had erased the memory of entertainment director on the drive down. It was only as we kicked off on our next long driving day that I so wished I had bought that little book! I can tell you right now it will be in the glovebox when we take off on our next driving holiday.
So what are your favourite games to play on a long drive?
For the first time EVER my kids are away for the week staying with my parents. My husband and I had many grand plans – movies, drinks after work, dinner…and then I got really sick…and just wanted to stay at home…in a track suit…and play scrabble.
It was fun…and I won! I can feel round 2 coming on.
Pip from Meet me at Mikes has started a game and I’ve decided to join in. I’d love to know your answers so please join in too!
- Sweet or Savoury?
- Dresses or Jeans?
- House or Apartment?
- Shop Online or Offline?
- DVDs or Downloads?
- Cocktails or Juice?
- Chocolate or Strawberry?
- Laptop or PC?
- Magazines or Newspapers?
- Facebook or Twitter?
- CDs or MP3s?
- Kids or Pets?
- Macaron or Cupcakes?
- Walk or Run?
- Breakfast in Bed or Breakfast Out?
- Market or Supermarket?
- Sourdough or Grainy?
- Heels or Flats?
- Late nights or Not?
- Coffee or Tea?
- Sweet or Savoury? Tempted by both but probably more a savoury gal.
- Dresses or Jeans? Dresses.
- House or Apartment? House, unless it’s an apartment in a fabulous city, say Paris.
- Shop Online or Offline? Both.
- DVDs or Downloads? Neither – must make more time to watch movies!
- Cocktails or Juice? Cocktails.
- Chocolate or Strawberry? Chocolate.
- Laptop or PC? Laptop.
- Magazines or Newspapers? Magazines.
- Facebook or Twitter? Facebook, but fading fast.
- CDs or MP3s? MP3.
- Kids or Pets? Kids.
- Macaron or Cupcakes? Cupcakes.
- Walk or Run? Walk.
- Breakfast in Bed or Breakfast Out? Out.
- Market or Supermarket? Both…but if there was a fabulous local market open 7 days a week I’d be there.
- Sourdough or Grainy? Grainy.
- Heels or Flats? Heels in my heart, but flats in reality.
- Late nights or Not? Late nights.
- Coffee or Tea? Tea please!